Shockwave therapy also referred to as extracorpeal shockwave therapy.
High intensity pulses of mechanical energy penetrate injured tissues (muscles, tendons, ligaments, bone, etc.) at a cellular level, which stimulates a healing response. This accelerates tissue healing with minimal scar tissue production.
Research has shown this modality to be successful in the treatment of chronic soft tissue injuries, tendinopathies and repetitive strain disorders. This includes plantar fasciopathy, achilles tendinopathy, posterior tibial tendinopathy, capsulitis, and even joint injuries.
The treatment is not pain free, however it is non invasive. Everyone has a different pain tolerance, however we can always tone down the intensity to a tolerable level. This treatment has a therapeutic effect that initiates a pain reduction effect. This works by means of the pain gait system that helps to tolerate the treatment within the first minute of treatment. Shockwave therapy is unsuitable in the following circumstances:
- If you are pregnant
- If you have a blood clotting disorder (including thrombosis)
- If you are taking oral anti-coagulants
- If you have received a Steroid injection within 6 weeks
- If you have a Pacemaker fitted
- If tumours are present at the treatment site
- If you have an infection or skin abrasion at the treatment site
Book an appointment
To book an appointment for shockwave therapy in Toronto with Chris or Laura, call us at 416.804.5199 or click on the button below.